Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Stéphane Dion Comes out Swinging in Ottawa

Apart from a few sound bites on the hourly CBC news, I decided not to torture myself last weekend -- I didn't watch any of the Liberal leadership convention. Fact is, I have to keep smacking the side of the head to remember: "I am not a Liberal!" Slap! "I am not a Liberal!" Slap. "I am not a Liberal!" Slap. And so on. Even if Dion proves to be as intelligent and honest as he seems, he'll still be surrounded by the big red, slow-moving, patronage-pedaling Liberal machine, won't he? Dion is supposed to be a green Liberal, -- just ask his dog -- but who knows how green he'll be allowed to be if the Liberals form a government in 2007. After all, the Grits learned early on how to posture about the environment better than most other parties. Remember when they signed the Kyoto accord during the Chretien era and then did little else besides pay Rick Mercer to tell us about the One Ton Challenge.



Ah, well. Time will tell, won't it? In the meantime, welcome back to Ottawa, Stéphane. Keep yer stick on the ice, watch out for Celine, and give Harper a whole lotta Hell. He's been asking for it!

No comments: