Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Garth Day in Ottawa

garthday.jpgGarth Turner held his Ottawa news conference today to announce his resignation from the Conservative Party of Canada. Many were predicting he would drop some sort of big juicy scandal bomb on that party, but it was not to be. Neither did he announce his intent to join the Green Party as some have hoped. His situation illustrates perfectly how the rough edge of party politics seems to grind away our ideal notions of democracy.

The arbitrary fashion in which the the Conservatives denied Turner the right to run as a CPC member in the next election -- despite being nominated by the local party twice in the past 18 months -- is scandalous. Turner deserves credit for opening a debate on parliamentary reform. Why shouldn't independent MPs have the right to issue tax receipts for campaign contributions just as full-fledged parties do? To that end, Turner announced he is taking the following actions:

1. I resign my membership in the Conservative name.

This is not easy to do after being a Conservative MP twice, a cabinet minister, a national leadership candidate and a Tory my whole life.

But my Conservative party believes in free speech, diversity of opinion, co-operation, equality of all people, progressive social values, true environmental protection and stands firm against intolerance, bigotry exclusion.

More importantly, though, I have realized that party politics - not just this party - is the problem.

2. Second, in the House of Commons I will support the government only when its actions are consistent with what I have just stated. I may only have one vote, and I may not change a whole lot, but it matters to me. I will try to make that vote count, and you will know it.

3. Third, I will seek out expert legal opinion on how our big national political parties, can be forced to be more democratic - to actually listen to, and obey, members. Right now these parties operate as old boys’ clubs accountable only to themselves. Is it any wonder voter turnout is dropping and cynicism is rising?

4. Fourth, I will introduce a private member’s bill seeking equal treatment in the House of Commons and under the Canada Elections Act for Independents. They should be able to sit on committees and raise money by issuing tax receipts right along with every other MP.

5. And, fifth, I’m not going away. Over the coming months I will travel anywhere people want to talk about democratic renewal, parliamentary reform, the role of our MPs and how citizens can get involved to reclaim this system from the unrepentant, arrogant party bosses and the unelected backroom boys.

Turner's chances at reform may be slimmer than the Leaf's shot at a Stanley Cup, but stranger things have happened. And while I hope he succeeds, I'd still like to see him return to party politics as a Green in the next election (There may be hope here: Garth is campaigning with Elizabeth May this Wednesday afternoon (Nov 15th) to support her by-election bid in London North Centre) Sure, we need more independent voices in Parliament, but the times are also crying for coherent, Green voices with the will to ameliorate some of the damage our species has caused.

Go Leafs Go!

Go Garth Go!

No comments: